D’Iberville, the French explorer founded his colony in nearby Biloxi in 1699, but it was about a century later before there was any activity around Moss Point. Forests near Moss Point supplied, in turn, the French, Spanish, and British navies with spars for their sailing war ships and armadas.
Jackson County was organized in 1812. The county was named for Andrew Jackson, who had visited the territory. Following the Battle of New Orleans, some of its men settled at Moss Point. Other early settlers from North Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia came by way of Greene County to establish thriving sawmill businesses. Shallow-draft schooners loaded lumber for foreign ports in Europe, Mexico, South America, and Cuba.
At one time, Moss Point’s post office was designated as Elder’s Ferry, but it was “Mossey Point” to logging men and raft riders.
During the Civil War, the sawmills came to a halt, when a column of Union troops marched down the river road and took over the town and the mills.
After the Civil War, the lumber and sawmill business revived, and by the close of the century, Moss Point was a lumber empire. In the late 1890’s and early 1900’s there were twelve sawmills on the river, and all but three are in Moss Point within a radius of less than one mile.